Sunday, August 19, 2012

Farmer's Market Salad



There is a new restaurant in town called True Food Kitchen and the menu was created based on Dr. Andrew Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Diet. I have been to the restaurant twice and both times had to wait 20-30 minutes. It fills every cell in my body with joy to know that a “healthy” restaurant is in such demand! We are moving in the right direction folks!

The menu is filled with delicious salads, grains, wild-caught fish and organic grass-fed beef. Additionally, the kitchen uses seasonal ingredients so the menu is bound to change frequently. The first time I dined at True Food Kitchen I enjoyed the farmer’s market salad. The second time I dined at True Food Kitchen I ordered the Farmer’s Market Salad again because I fell in love with it the first time! Next time I will try something new. For now, I will share this magnificent salad with you (that I whipped up in my own kitchen).

* Note, this recipe makes enough for 4 entrée sized salads (or 4 smaller side salads)

Salad Ingredients:
½ bunch of chopped romaine
½ bunch of chopped lacinato Kale (massaged with a drizzle of EVOO and sea salt to tenderize the leaves)
½ cup of cold yellow corn
½ cup of cold sweet green or English peas
½ cup of sliced artichoke hearts
¼ cup of fresh mint, julienned (click here for health benefits)

Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients:
*Makes about ¾ cup of dressing
½ cup of EVOO
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
1 tablespoon of minced shallot
1 ½ teaspoons of whole Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of raw organic honey

Directions:
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the Vinaigrette and set aside.

Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Top with ¼ of the vinaigrette and toss. Continue to add dressing based on your preference and toss. (True Food Kitchen serves this salad with little squares of Manchego cheese. Feel free to add the cheese if you eat dairy). Dish up and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment